An 1894 editorial from a Rogersville, Alabama citizen identified only as “Aleck” gives quite a...
Sweetwater Mansion / Weeden Home
Weeden/Sweetwater Mansion is a plantation house designed by General John Brahan of the Alabama Militia. The 8-room home was built of bricks manufactured on the site of Sweetwater Creek which lay just below the house.
The home was first occupied by Brahan’s son-in-law Robert M. Patton, Alabama’s first post-Civil War governor, who completed the mansion in 1835. Sweetwater has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places since 1976 and still stands today. Located in the woods off of Florence Boulevard behind the current Residence Inn. The 3,800-acre Sweetwater Plantation plantation had an entire slave village that consisted of 23 cabins.