The Stafford Block, also referred to as Stafford’s Corner, has been an important part of Florence,...
Deshler Female Institute
The Deshler Female Institute was named in memory of Brigadier General James Deshler. The original buildings were destroyed by a tornado on November 22, 1874. The buildings were rebuilt in 1875. The Institute closed in 1917 due to lack of funding & remained predominantly empty until 1924, when the city tore down the old building to build a new one which became Deshler High School. The Institute was centrally located in Tuscumbia, Alabama and surrounded by Main Street, Dickson Street, Second and Third Streets.